David practises in property and commercial law, with a particular interest in retirement villages, health and aged care, town planning and local government. He has worked with a range of clients – not only in private practice but also as in-house counsel at one of Australia’s largest private hospital operators, and more recently as General Counsel for a leading provider of high-quality retirement villages, in-home care and aged care services. Additionally, David is currently a Councillor for a western suburbs local government and sits on the Board of a not-for-profit active in Perth’s northern suburbs.
David applies his broad and varied experience and industry knowledge to the issues faced by clients, offering practical and commercial solutions.
He can assist with:
- Navigating issues arising under the Aged Care Act (Cth) and Retirement Villages Act (WA): For example, David has helped clients respond to various legislative changes including the introduction of consumer-directed aged care (CDC), and significant reforms to the WA retirement village laws that were introduced between 2014 and 2016. He is also familiar with the disputes and complaints processes found in the applicable legislation.
- Retirement village residence contracts, residential care agreements and home care agreements – whether assistance is needed by way of advice, contract reviews or drafting of new contracts; and whether services are to be provided on a Government or privately-funded basis.
- Developments and redevelopments, and subsequent leasing and sales processes (including off the plan).
- Issues arising under the Planning and Development Act (WA) and local government legislation – acting for Councils or developer/landowner clients.
- General property and commercial law (including work with the not-for-profit sector).
David holds an LLB (Hons) and BA (Communication Studies) from the University of Western Australia, along with post-graduate qualifications from the Australian National University and the Governance Institute of Australia.
David is named in Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Health & Aged Care Lawyer – Western Australia, 2017.
Areas of Practice
- Health & Ageing
- Retirement villages and aged care
- Commercial, industrial & retail leasing
- Sale contracts & special conditions
- General property and commercial law
- Rural leasing
- Town planning & local government
- Commercial and Corporate
- Business and asset sales
- Commercial agreements
- Governance & Risk
- Trading terms