Murray focuses on understanding client’s key commercial drivers to implement tailored legal outcomes for their businesses and using his expertise to help them implement strategies designed to avoid and overcome potential pitfalls.
Murray assists clients with business structures, asset and business transactions, and corporate finance and mortgages. He also advises on corporate governance, regulation, compliance with statutory requirements and general commercial matters.
Murray is a graduate of the University of Western Australia in Jurisprudence (Honours) and Law. He was admitted to practice in 1990 and has many years of extensive and diverse experience as a commercial and corporate lawyer. He has held in-house positions at the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, Westpac and St George Banking Group, operated his own boutique funds management and compliance legal practice as a sole practitioner for a number of years and has worked in top tier and boutique law firms in Western Australia and New South Wales.
His experience includes:
- Capital raisings (including disclosure obligations and due diligence reviews)
- Share sale and asset sale agreements
- Intellectual property and technology agreements
- Trust deeds and joint venture agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- General contract review and negotiation
- Transferring assets into or out of self-managed superannuation funds.
- Acting as panel solicitor for Australian banks
- Advising on various secured lending transactions (including private lending, vendor finance, and self-managed superannuation borrowing arrangements)
- Drafting security agreements and other documents consistent with the Personal Property Securities Act
- Advising mortgagees and other secured parties in relation to default notices and related enforcement issues.
- Developing new investment products and service offerings
- Liaising with ASIC in relation to licence applications
- Assisting clients in relation ASIC notices, examinations and hearings and Financial Ombudsman Service disputes.
- Preparing compliance plans and documenting business procedures addressing specific statutory requirements.
In addition to his legal qualifications, Murray holds a graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investments from the Securities Institute of Australia (now FINSIA) and has completed the requirements for a Graduate Diploma in Energy Law from the University of Western Australia’s Centre for Mining, Energy and Natural Resources Law.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial and corporate
- Business structuring
- Business and asset sales
- Commercial agreements
- Directors’ duties, governance & risk
- Financial services & securities
- Franchising, technology & intellectual property
- Privacy & credit reporting
- Shareholders agreements
- Pharmacy & health law
- Stamp duty
- Trading terms
- Trusts and companies